Call for Innovation Grant Proposals
The Grants Commission of the Steamboat Springs Education Fund (SSEF) is excited to announce its Innovation Grants program for 2018. Innovation Grants will be vetted by the Grants Commission and awarded by the Education Fund Board in a competitive process based on available funds. This year, the application deadline is Wednesday, January 23, 2019, with final award decisions made at the Education Fund Board meeting on Wednesday, May 1, 2019, with the intention that funds will be deployed in the following school year (2019-2020).
Innovation Grants are open to any individual, teacher, or group. However, for a recipient to be outside one of the three school districts, there must be a sponsoring school district member supporting the idea. The Grants Commission will require an accountability report due by the end of October following the Innovation Grant project year describing successes, failures, and what was learned through the experience. We encourage judicious risk-taking with these grants!
Innovation Grants fund programs and initiatives designed to encourage critical thinking, problem-solving, creativity, and exposure to progressive learning tools and skills within the broad boundaries of the current curriculum.
Innovation in education can take many forms. Categorical examples include programs that pursue the following objectives:
- Associating seemingly unrelated fields, problems, and ideas into one project.
- Accepting and exploring the unknown where questions outnumber the answers including new technologies.
- Observing new methods, processes, and products to learn from those on the cutting-edge.
- Experimenting to challenge accepted convictions and test hypotheses.
- Networking and connecting with others outside of our community and country to gain perspective and respect for different views.
- January 23, 2019 – Innovation Grant Applications are due
- May 1, 2019 – Innovation grants awarded by Education Fund Board
Applications will be posted soon.